Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Debt of Gratitude

A blue Fisher-Price 110 camera. The camera was produced in 1984. I was probably five or six when my parents bought it for me. I still remember my first trip out with it. We went to the Oakland Zoo. I don't recall much from the trip though I distinctly remember taking a picture of a yak.

By the time I reached high school, I was quite comfortable shooting in manual on my parents A1. My hours spent in photography class in high school were some of my favorites. I love all of it, from the time spent with exploring with a camera to the chemical smell of the darkroom. The process was magical.

And then I walked away for a decade. Life got busy and hobbies were the first to go.

A year and a half ago, my wife pushed me to start taking pictures again. I was really on the fence about it, fearing I would spent a bunch of money on a shiny new toy that would be relegated to the closet within days. After much nudging from both she and other acquaintances, I picked up a D70s and a pair of lens.

For a solid year, I was out every weekend taking pictures. She arranged my first studio shoot as a surprise after I failed to get into a limited attendance photography event. When I found an interesting bundle of gear on Craigslist, she threatened to make contact with the seller herself if I didn't make an offer.

I am incredibly fortunate and thankful to have someone so supportive in my life.

No comments: